Professor, Mechanobiology Institute, National University of Singapore
+65 6516 3466
MD 9, #03-03; MD 1, #B1-03;
National University of Singapore
2 Medical Drive #04-01
Laboratory of Cell and Tissue Engineering
Technology Innovation for Mechanobiology
Actin remodeling drives bile regurgitation during obstructive cholestasis
How extracellular matrix scaffolding guides lumen elongation
Cell and Tissue Engineering Laboratory translates the latest biological and engineering knowledge into innovative technologies for diagnostics, therapeutics and drug testing applications in pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
We adopt the latest industrial management models of teams to train future leaders of the R&D-based industry and academia. Our research expertise span from basic biological studies, biomaterials synthesis, to integrative engineering of biomedical devices that facilitate the translation of systems level understanding of biological functional processes into significant application solutions to help patients with liver diseases; and fuel biomedical industrial development in Asia. We acquire fundamental principles and technologies to quantitatively study and manipulate liver cell and tissue polarity and functions at meso-scale such that their global tissue structures and functions can be precision-engineered at mm-cm scales for applications.
Prof Yu is a Professor in the Department of Physiology, YLL School of Medicine, National University Health System; Principal Investigator at MBI and Group Leader at the Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology, A*STAR. He was trained as a cell biologist but ventured into various other disciplines such as imaging, biomaterials, tissue engineering, drug testing, and computational biology of liver fibrosis. He takes pride in the interdisciplinary approach to research and graduate training; and he strives to build integrated teams to equip future graduates to readily adapt into both industrial and future academic settings.
- Singh VR, Yang YA, Yu H, Kamm RD, Yaqoob Z, and So PTC. Studying nucleic envelope and plasma membrane mechanics of eukaryotic cells using confocal reflectance interferometric microscopy. Nat Commun 2019; 10(1):3652. [PMID: 31409824]
- Chua ACY, Ananthanarayanan A, Ong JJY, Wong JY, Yip A, Singh NH, Qu Y, Dembele L, McMillian M, Ubalee R, Davidson S, Tungtaeng A, Imerbsin R, Gupta K, Andolina C, Lee F, S-W Tan K, Nosten F, Russell B, Lange A, Diagana TT, Rénia L, Yeung BKS, Yu H, and Bifani P. Hepatic spheroids used as an in vitro model to study malaria relapse. Biomaterials 2019; 216:119221. [PMID: 31195301]
- Ni M, Zhuo S, Iliescu C, So PTC, Mehta JS, Yu H, and Hauser CAE. Self-assembling amyloid-like peptides as exogenous second harmonic probes for bioimaging applications. J Biophotonics 2019;:e201900065. [PMID: 31162811]
- Sun M, Wong JY, Nugraha B, Ananthanarayanan A, Liu Z, Lee F, Gupta K, Fong ELS, Huang X, and Yu H. Cleavable cellulosic sponge for functional hepatic cell culture and retrieval. Biomaterials 2019; 201:16-32. [PMID: 30784769]
- Tasnim F, Xing J, Huang X, Mo S, Wei X, Tan M, and Yu H. Generation of mature kupffer cells from human induced pluripotent stem cells. Biomaterials 2018; 192:377-391. [PMID: 30497023]
- Yu Y, Wang J, Ng CW, Ma Y, Mo S, Fong ELS, Xing J, Song Z, Xie Y, Si K, Wee A, Welsch RE, So PTC, and Yu H. Deep learning enables automated scoring of liver fibrosis stages. Sci Rep 2018; 8(1):16016. [PMID: 30375454]
- Caldez MJ, Van Hul N, Koh HWL, Teo XQ, Fan JJ, Tan PY, Dewhurst MR, Too PG, Talib SZA, Chiang BE, Stünkel W, Yu H, Lee P, Fuhrer T, Choi H, Björklund M, and Kaldis P. Metabolic Remodeling during Liver Regeneration. Dev. Cell 2018;. [PMID: 30344111]
- Wang L, Cho Y, Tang Y, Wang J, Park J, Wu Y, Wang C, Tong Y, Chawla R, Zhang J, Shi Y, Deng S, Lu G, Wu Y, Tan HW, Pawijit P, Lim GG, Chan H, Zhang J, Fang L, Yu H, Liou Y, Karthik M, Bay B, Lim K, Sze S, Yap CT, and Shen H. Author Correction: PTEN-L is a novel protein phosphatase for ubiquitin dephosphorylation to inhibit PINK1-Parkin-mediated mitophagy. Cell Res. 2018;. [PMID: 30038297]
- Wang L, Cho Y, Tang Y, Wang J, Park J, Wu Y, Wang C, Tong Y, Chawla R, Zhang J, Shi Y, Deng S, Lu G, Wu Y, Tan HW, Pawijit P, Lim GG, Chan H, Zhang J, Fang L, Yu H, Liou Y, Karthik M, Bay B, Lim K, Sze S, Yap CT, and Shen H. PTEN-L is a novel protein phosphatase for ubiquitin dephosphorylation to inhibit PINK1-Parkin-mediated mitophagy. Cell Res. 2018;. [PMID: 29934616]
- Fong ELS, Toh TB, Lin QXX, Liu Z, Hooi L, Rashid MBMA, Benoukraf T, Chow EK, Huynh TH, and Yu H. Datasets describing the growth and molecular features of hepatocellular carcinoma patient-derived xenograft cells grown in a three-dimensional macroporous hydrogel. Data Brief 2018; 18:594-606. [PMID: 29900213]