Professor, Mechanobiology Institute, National University of Singapore
+65 6516 3466
MD 9, #03-03; MD 1, #B1-03;
National University of Singapore
2 Medical Drive #04-01
Laboratory of Cell and Tissue Engineering
Technology Innovation for Mechanobiology
Actin remodeling drives bile regurgitation during obstructive cholestasis
How extracellular matrix scaffolding guides lumen elongation
Cell and Tissue Engineering Laboratory translates the latest biological and engineering knowledge into innovative technologies for diagnostics, therapeutics and drug testing applications in pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
We adopt the latest industrial management models of teams to train future leaders of the R&D-based industry and academia. Our research expertise span from basic biological studies, biomaterials synthesis, to integrative engineering of biomedical devices that facilitate the translation of systems level understanding of biological functional processes into significant application solutions to help patients with liver diseases; and fuel biomedical industrial development in Asia. We acquire fundamental principles and technologies to quantitatively study and manipulate liver cell and tissue polarity and functions at meso-scale such that their global tissue structures and functions can be precision-engineered at mm-cm scales for applications.
Prof Yu is a Professor in the Department of Physiology, YLL School of Medicine, National University Health System; Principal Investigator at MBI and Group Leader at the Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology, A*STAR. He was trained as a cell biologist but ventured into various other disciplines such as imaging, biomaterials, tissue engineering, drug testing, and computational biology of liver fibrosis. He takes pride in the interdisciplinary approach to research and graduate training; and he strives to build integrated teams to equip future graduates to readily adapt into both industrial and future academic settings.
- Narmada BC, Goh YT, Li H, Sinha S, Yu H, and Cheung C. Human Stem Cell-Derived Endothelial-Hepatic Platform for Efficacy Testing of Vascular-Protective Metabolites from Nutraceuticals. Stem Cells Transl Med 2016; 6(3):851-863. [PMID: 28297582]
- Fong ELS, Toh TB, Yu H, and Chow EK. 3D Culture as a Clinically Relevant Model for Personalized Medicine. SLAS Technol 2017;:2472630317697251. [PMID: 28277923]
- Lou Y, Toh TC, Tee YH, and Yu H. 25-Hydroxyvitamin D3 induces osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells. Sci Rep 2017; 7:42816. [PMID: 28211493]
- Gupta K, Li Q, Fan JJ, Fong ELS, Song Z, Mo S, Tang H, Ng IC, Ng CW, Pawijit P, Zhuo S, Dong C, Low BC, Wee A, Dan YY, Kanchanawong P, So P, Viasnoff V, and Yu H. Actomyosin Contractility Drives Bile Regurgitation as an Early Response During Obstructive Cholestasis. J. Hepatol. 2017;. [PMID: 28189756]
- Choudhury Y, Toh YC, Xing J, Qu Y, Poh J, Huan L, Tan HS, Kanesvaran R, Yu H, and Tan M. Patient-specific hepatocyte-like cells derived from induced pluripotent stem cells model pazopanib-mediated hepatotoxicity. Sci Rep 2017; 7:41238. [PMID: 28120901]
- Zhu L, Xia H, Wang Z, Fong ELS, Fan J, Tong WH, Seah YPD, Zhang W, Li Q, and Yu H. A vertical-flow bioreactor array compacts hepatocytes for enhanced polarity and functions. Lab Chip 2016; 16(20):3898-3908. [PMID: 27722715]
- Song Z, Shanmugam MK, Yu H, and Sethi G. Butein and Its Role in Chronic Diseases. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 928:419-433. [PMID: 27671826]
- Fong ELS, Harrington DA, Farach-Carson MC, and Yu H. Heralding a new paradigm in 3D tumor modeling. Biomaterials 2016; 108:197-213. [PMID: 27639438]
- Koh WL, Tham PH, Yu H, Leo HL, and Yong Kah JC. Aggregation and protein corona formation on gold nanoparticles affect viability and liver functions of primary rat hepatocytes. Nanomedicine (Lond) 2016; 11(17):2275-87. [PMID: 27527273]
- Ng IC, Pawijit P, Teo LY, Li H, Lee SY, and Yu H. Kinectin-dependent ER transport supports the focal complex maturation required for chemotaxis in shallow gradients. J. Cell. Sci. 2016; 129(13):2660-72. [PMID: 27221621]